Find our most recent resources at NoKidHungryNC.org.
DID YOU KNOW? Free Summer Meals are available to children at more than 2,500 locations in North Carolina
The process to locate free summer meals for kids is only accessible in JUNE, JULY, and AUGUST when school is out.
Here are 3 ways to find a nearby free summer meals site in North Carolina for children:
- Text FoodNC to 877-877
- Call toll-free 1.866.3Hungry (1.866.348.6479) or 1.877.8Hambre (1.877.842.6273)
- Visit www.FNS.USDA.gov/SummerFoodRocks
For many kids, summertime means two things: fun and friends. But when school’s out, that also means that families can’t count on their kids eating meals at school, and already tight family food budgets have to be stretched even further. Parents also know that growing kids have big appetites.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the N.C. Department of Public Instruction offer healthy summer meals to kids across North Carolina, similar to the School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs, except summer meals are free to all kids that come to a registered summer meals site.
More information on Summer meals programs:
- Meals are FREE to children and teens ages 18 and younger who come to a summer meals site.
- Free summer meals will help families save money and stretch their already tight food budgets.
- Food served at summer meal sites follows USDA nutrition guidelines and are paid for by the USDA.
- Summer meal sites are safe places for kids and teens to go, such as schools, churches, and community centers.
- Many sites offer educational and recreational activities that kids of all ages can participate in so they can eat, hang out with friends and take part in activities offered.
- Parents don’t need to apply to the program to get a free summer meal for their kids. They can simply bring their child to a summer meals site in their community, and their kids can enjoy a healthy meal without the hassle of having to fill out an application or enroll in a program. No ID or registration needed.